MR..FAROOQ Birthday Party

Monday, June 16, 2008

Skali Lagi Chapter 1






Chapter 1
Meeting Future Partners


I learnt the true meaning of resilience when I was 13.

I am Tengku Farith Rithauddeen, the CEO of SKALI, that evolves from a humble beginning to who I am now. SKALI has progressed tremendously not because of

contacts and networks alone; but also by ambition and intellect.

We were not born with silver spoons in our mouth. We were just like any other families – failures and success along the way. My mother was the one who run

the family, as my father being a government servant was leading a hectic life. Entrepreneur as she might seem, she had eyes for properties, which she managed

to prove when she made us go to school, far away from home. Yes, she bought properties at places closer to our campus – to save cost for lodging and at the

same time making an investment by adding values to the house purchased. The distance made us succeed in more ways than one – and I graduated with a bachelor

degree in Economics.

People were thinking it was a waste to sell back the house; when my mother thought otherwise. Having added the value with such craftsmanship, the price of

the property went up and she made a fortune. Indeed it was an entrepreneurship mentality in the making. She generated money from the house and other

properties; and that included the one in Florida.

I join CIMB, as a CEO – Chief Entertainment Officer, some might say. It was when I learn the trick and trade of becoming entrepreneur. We learnt to go

against norm, and that’s when Nazir and Rashid (of RHB) could sit together and win some contracts.
We were so driven to success that we overcame every obstacles – even to the extent of climbing up 20 stairs, when the elevator did not work!

My IT exposure started from the simplest model of computer using Basic language at college, to my working life at CIMB. It was the opportunity to make use of

Power Point presentation when nobody wanted to attempt using it. Later I became good and I had everyone handing their presentation slides to me! Later I got

to work with spreadsheet and Lotus, just to add in my expertise.

I never thought to end up in IT, until I met Azmi, who became my partner. Azmi is a smart and meticulous. He is also conservative and people often misjudged

him.

The true test of Ami capability was when the payment of bonus was delayed. As CIMB and BOC were in the process of harmonization, the setback occurred when

CIMB had to follow the BOC existing management – that bonus to be paid early next year! Collectively, everybody drafted a letter, with Azmi being the leader.

Little that everyone knew, the letter opened the doors of opportunities to young entrepreneurs like us! Indeed no bonus for that year, but Azmi, as a leader,

had another door open, when Md Nor became Securities Commission Chairman. Azmi’s charisma as a leader blows me away!

He is just being himself – no nonsense and extremely strict in nature. I came to conclude that in business – it is the harmonization of similar traits and

opposing of differences makes an organization. It was after a few years later, Azmi, Aimiand I would join forces to form a corporate advisory consultancy

called ACIF Resources, which would later become one of the main shareholders of SKALI.

It was that simple. But I can tell you, the ride was not. It was hell.

0 comments: